Throughout the nation today, Links Chapters partner with museums, symphonies, arts councils, educational institutes and corporations in order to support art programs, especially where there is a focus on artists of color. Links are creating and supporting opportunities for educating minority youth in the arts and presenting and supporting performances by youth and accomplished professional artists in a diversity of disciplines.
The GOAL of The Arts facet is to increase and expand art activity, and elevate our programs through arts integration and effectively create an arts renaissance within our organization and programmatic efforts. The Fort Lauderdale Chapter of the Links, Incorporated have been able to accomplish our goals by:
2013 – 2014
Our continued to support the Dillard Center for the Arts Jazz Band. The students have been in the winners Circle for the past five years, as they traveled to the Wynton Marsalis sponsored High School Jazz Band Competition, which takes place annually in New York City. The students placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd throughout the many years of competition, and many of them have received recognition for their personal musical accomplishments.
- Sponsored Poster Arts Competition in many local Broward County schools in support of the National Links Organization’s Poster Art Contest. Promoting the Theme of “Get Smart, Get Healthy-Making Health a Habit.”
- Promoted Concert by Leona Mitchell, International Opera Star at the Fort Lauderdale Museum of Arts.
- Supported Civil Rights Era Photography by Bob Adelman for Black History Month at the Fort Lauderdale Museum of the Arts.
- Supported Created Equal Series-Film Discussion at Old Dillard Museum.
- Published Article in Links Southern Area Electronic Publication regarding Cannonball Adderley Jazz Concert featuring students from the Dillard Center of the Arts Jazz Band and Longinue Parsons, noted Jazz Entertainer.
Previous programs and events that have been championed and/or supported by the Arts Facet:
- King Tut Exhibition with Heir-O Links and White Rose Honorees.
- Sponsor of opening reception of Highwaymen, Florida’s African American Landscape Painters by Gary Monroe at the Museum of Art.
- Musical and Stage presentations in both Broward and Dade counties.
- Walking Fete to Better Health Art Drawings with high school students.
- Queen Diana Exhibit at the Museum of Art.
NATIONAL POSTER ART GALLERY