National Trends and Services
The VISION of the National Trends and Services facet is to eliminate disparities by reducing barriers to services through advocacy, education, and service. Our MISSION is to empower our chapters to effectively empower the communities in which we work. Our GOALS include increasing the number of sustainable and measurable programs; increasing collaborative partnerships; and extending our existing initiatives to include communities identified as having the greatest need. The Fort Lauderdale Chapter of the Links, Incorporated, have been able to provide the following programs and services, in an effort to empower the underserved families in our community:
2013 – 2014
Previous programs and events that have been championed and/or supported by National Trends and Services:
- Chapter members conducted Health Challenge Educational Programs at various sites in the community. Youth were made aware of risks of obesity and given information to help them develop more healthy eating habits, Additionally, the members of the Fort Lauderdale Chapter of the Links,Inc. conducted the Health Challenge Educational Program to combat Childhood Obesity.
- An annual signature program: In collaboration with the Broward County Sickle Cell Disease Association, sponsor a Walk-A-Thon that raises funds for the Links Foundation National Health Initiatives and the local Sickle Cell Disease Association. Funds are equally divided between the two organizations.
- Financial support for the “Feed the Homeless Program” that is sponsored by First Baptist Church Piney Grove.
- Provided financial support for the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life Program.
- Provided financial support for the Multiple Sclerosis Society.
- Working as members of the Millennium Quilting Circle, the Broward County Historical Commission. Involvement in the quilting circle enabled the chapter to include vital historical information and landmarks of the local African American community on the Millennium Quilt and making quilts for Habitat for Humanity home that is completed here in Broward County.
- Support for Women in Distress, as financial support to the organization, as gifts and food for clients and their children
- NAACP Life Membership and additional financial support for NAACP Legal Defense Educational Fund.